Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Walmart: The High Cost of Low Prices

I don't shop at Wal-Mart, and I'm glad.

Initially, my reasons for not shopping at my local Wal-Mart were because I hate Wal-Mart. Plus, this particular store is fucking nasty. Everyone is angry because the "associates" suck, the customers are fucking pricks, and there are never enough cashiers. The store is a dirty shithole.

I have a personal connection to Wal-Mart. I worked at Wal-Mart when I was a junior until midway through my senior year in high school. I started in the housewares section, got moved to pets department, and ended up pushing shopping carts by the time I was done.

The manager said he had, "complaints about me" in the housewares department, and after talking to me, he said, "I had a bad attitude." I realized that working for $4.65, at the time that was minimum wage, was bullshit. I was young, but to reference the great Jim Morrison, I was not going to trade my hours for a handful of dimes.

Actually, pushing shopping carts from the parking lot back into the store was not so bad. Aside from the heat, I didn't have to deal with customers. Second, I could wear shorts, and, prior to iPods, I could listen to my Walkman.

While out there, I had some autonomy. There were 2 other guys that worked with me collecting shopping carts. One guy was deaf and the other could not speak English, so I was in charge by default because I was the only one who could hear/understand the radio.

"Shopping carts needed here. Needed there."

I delegated. Knowledge is power.

Watch a really important documentary about: "Wal-Mart": The High Cost of Low Prices.

Thanks for reading the crap i typed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home